Saturday, July 13, 2013

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Today was a touristy day of Mumbai!  We started the day with a late breakfast, though many of us were not able to sleep in this morning.  For breakfast, I had an Indian pancake which came with a spicy coconut sauce and a curry sauce.  It was thin like a tortilla, but more airy. 

Our first activity was to ride a train, “the heart of Mumbai.”  The train is open so many people will ride hanging off the train since trains are often overcrowded.  I was not as brave, but I did ride with my head out of the doorway.  We only rode the train for two stops.  Trains are Mumbai’s largest mode of transportation.

We went to the Prince of Wales Museum where many of us could have spent days looking at everything.  Amid was helpful in explaining some paintings and games.  I found my sweet TyBaby a book about Mumbai in the gift shop and can’t wait to read it to her soon!

Next, we saw the Indian Naval Academy.  I was pretty excited by this and am missing my dad.  We were on our way to the Indian Gate, which was a crazy experience.  Here we were bombarded with beggars and salesmen.  People were staring at us.  It was a very overwhelming experience and if it hadn’t been for Amid, I’m not sure I would feel as safe as I did.  This is about the only super touristy place in Mumbai.  It was sad to see a cycle of poverty.

We went to McDonalds!  I had half of a Big Mac which was actually made of chicken.  It was pretty good.  The McDonalds in India delivers.  I hope America never gets a delivery system for McDonalds.  I asked Amid if he takes his children to McDonalds often and he said, “Never.  It is too expensive.”  My meal was like $4.  It was just shocking since we view McDonalds as such a cheap meal.  Amid has a wife and two boys.  I imagine many people do not go out to eat on the scale that many Americans do.  By the way, I feel just as awful after eating Indian McDonalds as I do when I eat American McDonalds.

We then got to see Queen Victoria’s Palace which is being turned into a train station. 

Our last stop was one of Mumbai’s beaches.  We received a lot of stares here as well, but no one bothered us like they did at the Indian Wall. 

I probably will not blog tomorrow because we are leaving for our final destination in India!  Monday I will meet my girls, Komal, Monika, Ranuka, Reena and Shiwani.  Please be praying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment